Can You Get Divorced Without a Lawyer? | Ins and Outs Explained
The contents of this web page are for informational and educational purposes only, and nothing you read is intended to be legal advice. Please review our disclaimer before taking action based upon anything you read or see.
The straightforward answer to this question is yes, you get divorced without a lawyer. But on the other hand, this is more challenging than it seems. Thus, we have made this post to aid you.
The advent of divorce usually comes with challenges and emotional stress for all parties involved. Thus, many usually contemplate whether to handle the process personally or hire a lawyer. In all, you can get divorced without a lawyer. However, this depends on the nature of the divorce, your knowledge of the steps and risks involved, etc.
This post will further highlight the intricacies involved in effecting a divorce. This is in addition to the merits and demerits of obtaining a divorce without a lawyer. This will greatly assist those going through the divorce process, as general readers who are merely seeking knowledge on this subject matter. Come along!
How to Get Divorced without a Lawyer
Handling a divorce can come with so much stress and hassles. This is valid if you do not have a lawyer by your side. But on the other hand, the following tips will aid you to succeed if you decide to handle it without the aid of a lawyer:
Understand the essential law terms and rules
The field of law is made up of diverse law terms and rules. Thus, you’re understanding and adherence to these terms and rules will determine the outcome of your divorce case. At this point, it’s best to arm yourself with the right knowledge. This will also help boost your confidence as you navigate the divorce process without a lawyer.
Put your financial documents together
Financial documents, such as tax returns and bank statements, will be crucial when navigating a divorce. Thus, it is best to organize these before proceeding. Ultimately, you can sort out the asset division process and designate the support areas.
Sort out the custody and support obligations for the children
You must complete this step if you have children with your partner. It would help if you sorted out the custody and support obligations for the children. This will help ensure the children’s adequate care and well-being during the divorce process.
Furthermore, it’s best to be aware that this isn’t an act of competition. Rather, it’s for the protection of your children’s interests. So, handle this aspect with all the attention and patience it deserves.
Conduct proper research on the laws about divorce in your state
Every state has distinct laws about divorce. And to handle the divorce process successfully, you must conduct proper research. You can begin by researching online or visiting a renowned legal library in your state.
Furthermore, you can seek advice from close relatives who have recently gone through the divorce process without the aid of a lawyer.
Work with a divorce mediator
A major role of a lawyer is to coordinate the divorce process. But in the absence of one, it’s best to work with a divorce mediator.
With the aid of a competent mediator, you can dialogue your way through the divorce phase without going to court. This also makes the divorce process more flexible and stress-free.
Pros and Cons of Getting Divorced Without a Lawyer
Getting Divorced Without a Lawyer comes with diverse pros and cons. Before embarking on this path, weigh both the pros and cons before concluding on the best approach. This has been highlighted below.
Pros of Getting Divorced without a Lawyer
Some pros here include:
- More Privacy: The first merit of handling a divorce without a lawyer concerns the level of privacy it brings. In contrast, working with a divorce lawyer will entail going to the courtroom and deliberating before a judge and numerous witnesses.
- Cost efficiency: The cost of getting a divorce lawyer is usually higher than what’s required to get a mediator for the case. Furthermore, you will bypass other legal fees whenever you opt for a divorce without a lawyer.
- Better control of the outcome: Another merit of getting divorced without a lawyer is the degree of control it gives you over the outcome of the case. This is valid, as you do not have to worry over your divorce lawyer’s availability and expertise level.
- Maintaining a good relationship after the divorce: Getting a divorce lawyer sometimes heats the divorce process and destroys the relationship level of the separating couples. On the other hand, working with a divorce mediator will increase the chances of maintaining a good relationship among the couple after the divorce.
Cons of Getting Divorced without a Lawyer
There are a few cons of getting divorced without a lawyer. This includes:
- Possible mistakes when handling the divorce process
- Scarcity of competent divorce mediators
- Delay in the divorce process
In conclusion, you can get divorced without a lawyer. But on the other hand, it’s best to harness the steps highlighted above and the pros and cons of each option. Furthermore, you can seek the advice of legal experts in law, as they can adequately assist you on the right path.
- Behind the Law of Marriage; Law.harvard.edu: http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/jhalley/cv/1-behind_the_law_of_marriage.2.15.11.pdf
- Meyer, Cathy; Issues Surrounding a Contested Divorce: http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/typesofdivorc1/p/contesteddiv.htm
I’m a driven and accomplished law graduate and post-graduate, passionate about sharing my legal expertise via my blog. I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law from the University of London (UK) and a Master’s in Law from the University of Derby (UK). Both gave me the foundational knowledge and skills to excel in my chosen career path.
Throughout my academic journey, I have gained extensive knowledge in various fields of Law, including Corporate and Business Law in the USA, Criminal Law, International Law, US Copyright law, and most importantly, American Constitutional law.